Applications now open for the MCTM Artist in residence/educatorFrom March 25 to May 05, 2019
The Education Department of the Museo Carmen Thyssen Málaga is committed to encouraging the dual facet of the artist/educator by offering this residency, which is open to both Spanish and non-Spanish creators whose practice in any discipline aims to involve the general public in the concepts and procedures characteristic of contemporary creation.
The residency consists of a stay lasting two months in the city of Malaga in order to carry out a creative/educational project specifically devised for implementation with the groups with which the Museum’s Education Department habitually works.
Days and times:
Presentation of applications: 25 March to 5 May 2019
Residence: 3 June to 31 July 2019
Information and enrolment:
To present an application for the artist’s residency, the necessary documents must be sent by e-mail to:
More information on tel: (+ 34) 952 217 679
Artist/educators and artists, both Spanish and international, whose practice in any discipline aims to involve the general public in the concepts and procedures characteristic of contemporary creation.
Details of the residency
How to present the project
In order to apply for the residency, the documentation specified below must be sent by e-mail to the following address: educacion@carmenthyssenmalaga no later than 5 May 2019 at 11.59pm (23.59).
In a single document, the candidate for the residency must include:
a) Short professional biography (no more than 1000 characters with spaces) + selection of images (low resolution) of the educational, creative, artistic and / or artistic-educational works carried out.
b) Project to carry out including the following headings:
-Resumen of the idea (no more than 1000 characters with spaces)
-Justification of the idea
-Public to which the project is focused
-Prevision of materials, technical means and space needs
The Museo Carmen Thyssen Málaga will offer:
- A temporary contract covering the artist in residence’s project and work undertaken for the two months required to create the chosen project. Working hours will be part-time, 25 hours a week.
- A gross salary of 1,530 Euros per month.
- A working space in the Museum’s administrative building, available on weekdays from 8pm to 4pm.
- Participation in the activities of the Museum’s Educational programme aimed at children and young people.
- Specialist advice on social art, critical pedagogy and on working in learning-based communities.
The artist in residence will be responsible for:
- Cost of lodging and food.
- Organisation and cost of travel.
- Developing and carrying out the selected project within the specified time frame of 2 months from 3 June to 31 July 2019.
- The artist’s rights arising from the result of the project undertaken during the residency will correspond to Creative Commons: (El beneficiario de la licencia tiene el derecho de copiar, distribuir, exhibir y representar la obra y hacer obras derivadas siempre y cuando reconozca y cite la obra de la forma especificada por el autor o el licenciante. En cualquier caso, cuando el beneficiario de la licencia no sea el autor de la misma, sólo se podrá aplicar tal derecho con fines no comerciales.)
- The selected artist agrees to collaborate with any actions that the Museum may undertake to promote the project in question.
- At the end of the project, the resident artist/educator must produce a report that summarise the preceding phases, steps undertaken, actions carried out and an overall evaluation of the experience.
- Should the selected artist not be Spanish or from a European Union country, his/her residency will be dependent on obtaining the required legal permission to be employed in Spain.
The Area of Education and the Artistic Direction of the Museum will make a first selection of no more than ten candidates from which the final winner will have to be chosen. For the final choice of the resident, there will be an expert jury that will be constituted during the month of April and that will be provisionally formed by:
-Tecla Lumbreras, Vice President of Culture and Sports UMA
-Helena Juncosa, Exhibitions Curator
-Salvador Haro, Dean of the Faculty of BBAA of Málaga
-Lourdes Moreno, Artistic Director of the MCTM
-Elisabeth, MCTM Education Area
The jury has selected "Apuntes del natural" project by Alejandro Bravo Lara.